Health & Wellness
Comments 29

Black Rice is the new Brown

Black Rice paddy fields in Manipur

“Keep your hands off that rice. It is mine.” says the Emperor.

Black Rice is also known as the Forbidden Rice in some parts of Asia, as it was purely consumed by royalty and the lucky few. It got its name as the ‘Forbidden Rice’ because stealing a handful of the rice was punishable by death.

This ancient grain comes with a multitude of health benefits. It has been eaten in regions of Asia for thousands of years. This dark purple or black rice was exclusive to royalties because of its rarity and richness.  Although it’s not commonly known, Black Rice is currently one of the healthiest food types that can be obtained today.

From hardly being recognized by the world, today this nutty flavoured Black Rice is now considered one of the greatest “Superfoods” because of its amazing super powers. Makes you wonder what’s so special about this dark and highly nutritious form of rice, doesn’t it?

Aromatic Black Rice Grain

Black Rice is rich in disease-fighting antioxidants

Black Rice for your Health

• Black rice is a good source of antioxidants – a substance known for helping individuals flush out body wastes on a regular basis. Antioxidants can be found in coffee and tea but is definitely more prevalent in black rice.
  • Black rice contains a large amount of anthocyanins, an ingredient that is capable of lowering the risk of heart attack. It does this by preventing the buildup of plaques in the arteries which is the most common reason why heart attacks occur.
  • Aside from the two mentioned that have already been proven by science, black rice is also being looked at as possible prevention from serious illnesses. Some of the diseases it can prevent includes include Alzheimer’s, diabetes and even cancer.

Cultural Significance of Black Rice

Generations have used this Black Rice to mark an auspicious occasion. In Manipur, when you know your mom is cooking up some sweet Black Rice dish, you know there’s something special about that day. From feasts to festivals no celebration is complete without a delicious serving of Black Rice. This Sweet Black Rice dish has held cultural and traditional significance to the people of Manipur and other parts of Northeast India.

Aromatic Black Rice

Plain cooked black rice makes a perfect dessert

How to cook Black Rice?

The beauty of black rice is that it can be enjoyed as sweet or savory.  Yep it’s a versatile food with a whole lot of potential. Sticky and nutty it adds a lovely flavour and is the perfect alternative to your white or brown rice.

Black rice pudding recipe (for your sweet tooth):

Yield: makes 8 servings

Active time: 10 min

Total time: 2 hr (includes cooling)

INGREDIENTS

1 cup black rice

1/2 cup sugar

1 (13 1/2- to 15-oz) can unsweetened coconut milk, stirred well

PREPARATION

Bring rice, 3 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover it with a tight-fitting lid, 45 minutes (rice will be cooked but still wet). Stir in sugar, a scant 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 cups coconut milk and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and rice is tender but still slightly chewy, about 30 minutes.

Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally for at least 30 minutes. Just before serving, stir pudding and divide among 8 bowls. Stir remaining coconut milk and drizzle over pudding.

We’ve got packed Black Rice @www.giskaa.com. Plucked from the Poireiton variety, you can expect nothing but top-notch quality. Indigenous to its roots, it’s packed with a multitude of health benefits.

AROMATIC BLACK RICE (CHAK HAO) – MANIPUR – 500 G, Rs169 only!

AROMATIC BLACK RICE (CHAK HAO) – MANIPUR – 250 G, Rs 85 only!

Once you go Black you’ll never go back.

There you have it. We’ve given you all the reasons to try the Forbidden Rice. Introduce this nutty flavoured black rice to your every day meals. Eat healthy and stay healthy.

Note: Don’t fret if the colour runs when you wash the rice. It’s completely natural for the rice to turn purple when cooked.

Aromatic Black Rice

Aromatic Black Rice

29 Comments

1. Briju says

Few qns. 1) Can it be grown in any part of India? I am interested to introduce it to Karnataka.
    2) What is the yield? is it equal to other rice or less in quantity / hector?
    3) If its healthy food, why can’t be encouraged by Govt to grow this, why can’t it be sold through public distribution system?
    Price is very high, we can have it as a festival food and not as regular food.

Liked by 1 person

• Dear Briju, it is most likely that Black Rice can be grown in Karnataka. However, to your specific question about yield etc. we will need to seek answers from farmers in Manipur who actually grows Black Rice. We will definitely come back to you. Yes, we agree the price is on the higher side and that’s mainly because Black Rice is not grown widely as the consumption/demand is low. In fact this is the first time ever that it is being professionally promoted through an online platform (www.giskaa.com) and being shipped across India. We do hope this initiative helps in raising more awareness about this wonderful and unique variety of rice.

2. Y S Reddy says

Wow, at last we come to know about Black Rice, now, no more going Back. Come on send 2 Kgs, to begin with….! My home address: Y S Reddy, 301-A, SaiLeela Palace Apts., Gokulam, Puttaparthi, Ananthapuramu, Dist. AP State, INDIA, PIN 515134.

Liked by 1 person

3. Hi we have 6 acres in telangana so can I grow this black rice and what is estimation cost for this and at is cost of seeds ?????

4. Venkatesan Mani says

I am hearing about this black rice for the time. from your descriptions about this black rice I have strted loving it and I want to buy a few kilos. where to approach and get it. I am a diabetic and my wife a dementia patient. Kindly let me have all the address particular s of the suppliers and I shall do needful to acquire for my personal consumption only. Many thanks.

Venkatesan Mani,
    Mumbai–400092.
    Tel: 022-29010508.

5. Venkatesan Mani says

I have your descriptions about the black rice with great interest. I need for my personal consumption regularly two kilograms of black rice every month. How do I go about it to procure
    I have no knowledge of online business. I can send a bank draft once I receive your name and address particulars. Kindly assist me. thanks.
    I have givem below my email id and name. address is as follows:
    V. Mani, 110|C Sanjay apts., S>V>Patel road, Borivli(west)m Mumbai-400092.
    Tel:022-28910508.

Liked by 1 person

• Dear Venkatesan Mani,

Thank you for your interest in Black Rice. We have forwarded your comment to the Customer Support team who will call you and help you out.

Thanks

Pavithra, Blog Editor

• lakshmi says

i ate black rice in milan,italy. i also nderstand, they grow blak rice in peru[south america.

6. Wouldn’t it be more appropriate to call this brown rice or more appropriately glutinious brown rice, there are lot’s of brown rice varieties available right now , probably not in india , however this type of rice as we call chak hao is not suitable to be eaten normally ( in the sense as in a normal healthy staple diet ) , the chak hao as it’s called in manipur is normally had as a desset with kheer .

7. manisah.s. says

I came to know that black rice is used as medicine interms of spoonful which is also cultivated in Tamil Nadu in meagre quantity and the same is recommended by Siddha practitioners.

Liked by 1 person

8. K.v.sampathkumar says

I know black rice my grand mother cooked black rice my grand father bring the black rice from Madras 40 years back. Can u supply 2kg every month. My adders k.v.sampathkumar,4/200,Nactionalcollage road,rajupet,Machilipatnam,
    Krishna dt, Andhrapradash. my cell no 07032715567.my email id kumarvankata@gmai.com

• One of our Customer Support staff will contact you on the provided phone number and assist you with placing your order. We can definitely supply 2 kgs every month.

9. E.M.Ramnarayan says

E.M. Ramnarayan.
    25.11.2015.

I am very much interested to eat black rice. Can you supply 2 or 3 kgs. to this address .
    Plot no 96, Brindavan enclave, opp.Bolarum railway station, Bolarum.Secunderabad-500010. My
    cell number- 09652863022.

Liked by 1 person

• Hi E.M. Narayanan,

Thanks

10. Mrs. Venmathi Laurent says

Black rice is also powdered and mixed with sugar and ghee to make a halwa, called “dhol dhol”.which gives a different taste. Try it.

Liked by 1 person

11. Iftikhar A. Lone says

I am from Srinagar Kashmir can we grow this black rice here and would appreciate in putting us through with your business department for dealership….Thank you
    Iftikhar A. Lone
    09906460000

Liked by 1 person

12. rajaraman says

i am from trichirapalli,tamilnadu state,and i am eager to cultivate this rice.i need details about the price of its seed paddy,for cultivation purpose.

Liked by 1 person

13. Anindyo Roy says

I simply fell in love with chak hao. How would I get information about growing Chak gao in Norh Bengal–in the hills of Kalimpong, in terraced fields. The climate is similar to that of Manipur, I assume–but soil conditions are probably different.